The title says it all, big (and most likely important) decisions are rarely ever easy to make.
But this weekend Mike and I made a pretty big one….whether or not to stick it out to the end, or to quit my job.
The decision? To Quit!
I handed in my notice today stating that April 1st will be my last day of work. It is a really great company to work for, and I have met so many amazing people over the last 5 and a half years, but now it’s time for me to move on.
The company announced last August that they would be closing our facility at the end of January. That date came and went, and the closure was extended to the end of April. Most people wouldn’t see that as being a bad thing, or even troublesome, but for us it is.
We have revamped our plans and goals several times with each change in the closing schedule and now we are to the point where my continueing to work will actually do more harm than good for us. So we have now set our new plans into motion.
I am actually very excited by all of this, but at the same time I am sad to see the ending of that part of my life, and what I am sure will be the end of certain friendships, but doing this will open so many more doors for us. And also help by making my day to day schedule more flexible for other things coming up in the near future, like my next surrogacy and all the appointments that surround that.
We had met with some resistance (as was expected) when telling our parents of our decisions. Although they support us in our final choices (even if not the choices themselves), they often try to talk us out of the course of action we have planned. This has been the case with my Mother. I love her dearly and do value her opinion, but sometimes I wish that she would show more faith in us, and trust that at the ages of 28 and 29 we Actually do know what we are doing!
Mike’s parents have said very little about this so far, and his Dad as always has been a great help navigating certain Employment laws while we made our decision…..I did email them about all this today, but haven’t heard back yet.
And for anyone wondering….YES I will still be receiving my severence package. There is a whole set of special circumstances surrounding all of this, in that a closure was announced and the first given date come and gone. So as long as 2 weeks notice was provided I am still entitled to the original offer given to me in the fall. In this case, I gave 4 weeks notice out of my own guilt and the need to train someone to help cover my duties, since at the moment the only one who can is my direct manager, and she is also going through some tough times in her family.
I hate the idea that I may be leaving them “in the lurch” so to speak, but it is my job to do what is best for my family first and foremost. I feel bad for what my boss is going through, but I can’t let it dictate my life where my family is concerned.
So there you have it folks….my most recent life shatter….I mean altering decision!